Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Wooden Beer Crate Towel & Soap Storage

I decided to take my wife over to Ponchatoula, LA for a Saturday afternoon to walk around the antique village and grab dinner with some college friends. While we were walking around, I stumbled across an old beer crate that caught my interest. I noticed that not only did the crate have a nice rustic look, it had a great logo across each side panel. Not that my wife was a huge fan of the crate, I started to try and talk her into the idea when I explained we could use it as a shelf/storage in the guest bathroom. Needless to say, it was still not an easy sell to her, since it was not "in the vision" for the interior design of the house. Of course, I'm a rockstar and won't budge on some things I want, so as seen below, I bought it for $20. 

I cut a two (2) 10 inch pieces of 1x2 board to create a mount to the wall, so that the crate wasn't flush against the wall. At the same time, I cut a 1x4 board into a 9 inch shelf for the interior of the crate. Once I stained the "shelf" and "wall mount" with Varathane Dark Walnut, I nailed them in place.

I mounted the crate to the wall mounts and let my wife add the towels, washcloths, soaps, and shampoo for when guests stay at the house. To the left is a picture directly facing the crate as it is mounted and finished.

On a side note, the crate shelf has grown on my wife over the past few weeks. She also realized the crate was from a beer company which brews its beer near Montreal, Quebec, Canada where we honeymooned back in December.




No comments:

Post a Comment