Monday, July 20, 2015

Buffalo & Beef Andouille Sausage

My wife, Jesse, has decided that we are starting the Whole 30 diet as of tomorrow evening. Since we managed to do Paleo during the summer last year, we are going to try Whole 30 for at least a month, if not longer. Whole 30 from my understanding (what Jesse told me) Whole 30 is a stricter version of Paleo. Good thing I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy, oh wait - no potatoes :-/ When we were on Paleo I recreated a few recipes since there are limited ingredients/spices which can be used. So I found a great recipe to alter to help with my lunches and dinners: Andouille Sausage.... the Stephen way ;-)

Most store-bought sausage has sugar in them, which as everyone knows, is not allowed on the Paleo diet, much less the stricter Whole 30 diet. This also is a great way for me to get Jesse to eat sausage. She claims that if she can see what goes into the sausage she is more likely to eat it, knowing there isn't a lot of extra fats or leftover random meats thrown in to make it. So I made my own twist, instead of using pork for this sausage, I used Buffalo and lean ground beef from Whole Foods. I will say that the sausage is delicious and has great flavor, but some might think its a little dry since the fats aren't there to make them juicy. I'd suggest leaving a little fat (not a ton) so that it isn't dry, but not overly fatty/juicy and keeps the delicious flavors. By the way, one major need for this, a meat grinder. So my twist is listed below:

Stephen's Homemade Buffalo & Beef Andouille Sausage
Makes 16 links
Nutritional Facts (per 1 serving):
185g Calories, 4g Fat, 35mg Cholesterol, 911mg Sodium, 5g Potassium, 1g Carbs, 0g Fiber, 
0g Sugars, 32g Protein, 2% Vitamin A, 0.1% Vitamin C, 0.1% Calcium, 8% Iron

                                                                      Ingredients:
                                                                      2.5 lbs Buffalo Stew Meat
2 lbs 95/5 Lean Ground Beef
3 Tbsp Minced Garlic
2 Tbsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Chili Pepper
1/8 tsp Mace
1/8 tsp Allspice
1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
1 Tbsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Ground Bay Leaf (roughly 1.5)
1/4 tsp Sage
3 Tbsp Liquid Smoke
1 Sutter Home Merlot Individual Serve (roughly 6 oz)
hog casings


No comments:

Post a Comment