Monday, November 24, 2014

The Floating Shelf in Dining Room

It started out as a shelf and scones to add something to an empty wall, and what it turned into was a two weekend project.

Jesse found the candle scones at Hobby Lobby and I bought some lumber at Home Depot. Between the initial concept thoughts of the space, Jesse was given a bridal shower in her hometown. One of her good friends gave her wood initials for a gift. Jesse had the idea of painting them teal to go with the color scheme of the house, since they were white and the walls were khaki.

After painting the initials, I mounted the candle scones, added the floating shelf and then drilled out the holes for the initials. During the process of the build, I decided against the vision of my future bride, to backlit the initials with white LEDs. I wired up the LEDs and dropped the wiring through the wall and into the empty portion of the shelf.
 

I ran the wires from the LEDs and power source to a switch, which is tucked away in the bottom of the wooden shelf. After hanging the initials, I taped off the areas of the wall that would be affected by paint. I added a dark walnut stain to the shelf and called it a finished project.




No comments:

Post a Comment